Childbirth education classes are a great way to help get mom and her labor partner prepared for the birthing experience. Here are some ways that taking a class can benefit you, your labor partner and baby:
- Calm your fears and prepare for birth – Fear of the unknown and how your labor will un-fold is one of the most common fears we see in pregnant women. In fact, it’s one of the first things we try to address to help ease any tension you and your labor partner might be feeling.
- Opportunity to ask questions – It’s no secret moms-to-be and the birth partner often have a variety of questions and concerns about childbirth. Childbirth classes are a great resource for you to ask questions freely and get accurate information.
- Knowledge of options and choices– We believe in
“freedom of choice based on knowledge of alternatives” and want to set every mom up for a successful birth. The common goal of all of our birthing classes is to provide you with the confidence you need to give birth and to make informed decisions during your birth process.
- Bond with your labor partner (s) – Childbirth classes not only prepares couples for birthing and parenting but also promotes well-being and increased intimacy in couples. This is a great way to spend time with your labor partner while learning about the birth experience.
- Pain management with breathing and relaxation techniques – Above all, childbirth classes will emphasize the role of the support person and comfort measures for birth. We want to make sure mom and her labor partner have all the tools they need to birth with or alternative comfort measures without medication.
Contributed by Chris Marlo, Certified Instructor, International Childbirth Education Association, Renown Children’s Hospital