As much as they need it, many teens aren’t getting enough sleep. If you find your teen’s sleep patterns concerning, we have some tips and ideas to help.
Do you have a teen that likes to stay up all hours of the night? Do they like to play video games, watch movies and do everything other than get a good night’s sleep?
What Teen’s Sleep Patterns Should Look Like
Teens ages 13-18 years old should sleep an average of 8.5-9 hours each night. Getting the recommended amount of sleep is very important for teens because sleep problems can lead to other more serious health problems.
Be Mindful of the Following:
- Having a difficult time waking up in the morning
- Having trouble focusing and concentrating
- Falling asleep during class
- Feeling moody and maybe even depressed
Tips to Help Your Teen Get Sufficient Rest:
- Encourage them to be active during the day
- Help them avoid stimulants like caffeine and sugar during the evening
- Put a curfew on electronics
- Help your teen relax during evening by keeping the lights low and creating a comfortable sleeping environment
If you think your teen is getting enough sleep at night, but they still feel tired during the day, it is a good idea to contact a doctor. To find a doctor visit the Find a Doctor section of renown.org. A doctor can give advice based on your teen’s specific needs.