Mouth-watering pies are synonymous with the holidays, but they aren’t always the healthiest dessert. This grain-free and dairy-free version of sweet potato pie will satisfy your taste buds — and make you feel less guilty about going back for seconds!
When you think of sweet potatoes as a holiday dessert, do you picture them layered with brown sugar and marshmallows? Fortunately there are healthier ways to serve this slightly sweet and nutrient-rich vegetable. After all, sweet potatoes are packed with calcium, potassium, and vitamins A and C. These nutrients boost immunity, benefit bone density, strengthen eyesight and more.
In addition to being a great side dish or even main dish option, these modest root vegetables are also wonderful stand-ins for another seasonal favorite – pumpkins. While pumpkin pie is not the least healthy dish at the holiday table, sometimes it’s nice to add a little flare to traditional flavors.
A Delicious, Health-Conscious Sweet Potato Pie
By eliminating the usual flour-based crust and swapping coconut milk for condensed milk, this version of sweet potato pie is perfect for those with dietary restrictions.
- 2 cups sweet potato puree
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 2 pinches clove
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¾ cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Process hazelnuts in food processor until they resemble a course flour; add remaining crust ingredients and pulse until combined.
- Press crust mixture into a glass pie dish and bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°.
- With a mixer, combine sweet potato puree and eggs until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
- Poor filling mixture into cooled crust and place on heated baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325° and bake 40-45 minutes, until set.
- Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!