While not protective of your head, this watermelon football helmet will protect your health — and offer yummy bite-size fruit to your football party revelers. Here’s how to make this healthy themed option perfect for your buffet table.
Summer weather may be in the far-off future, but that doesn’t mean stores aren’t stocked year-round with supplies of watermelon.
And its health benefits are the stuff of legends, beginning with the hydrating benefits: watermelons are about 92 percent water.
Experts suggest that this refreshing fruit is soaked with nutrients. Each juicy bite has significant levels of vitamins A, B6 and C, lots of lycopene, antioxidants and amino acids. There’s even a modest amount of potassium.
Our thanks to the Watermelon Board for the following instructions about how to make the watermelon football helmet.
How to Make a Watermelon Football Helmet
- Round Watermelon
- Sharp pencil or thin marker
- Using a round watermelon, slice off a piece approximately 4 inches down on the stem end. Set cut piece aside to use later for mouth guard.
- Make a curved cut from one side of the melon to the other to cut out the face portion of the helmet. Hollow out the entire melon.
- Take the piece that was set aside in step #1 and place cut side down. Place knife at the center of stem end and cut in half.
- Take one half of cut piece and draw mouth guard grid with a sharp pencil or thin marker as shown in picture. Remove flesh and using a small knife, cut out grid design.
- To assemble, place mouth piece on a plate. Place the helmet piece on top, pushing the mouthpiece ends towards the inside of the helmet. You may need to carve a little out of the helmet ends to fit the mouth grid comfortably.
- Fill with fruit salad.