Avocados seem to be popping up everywhere, and with notable nutritional value, it’s for good reason.
There is no other fruit quite like avocados. Yep, an avocado is a fruit.
Avocados contain a whopping 4 grams of protein and only 0.2 grams of sugar — they even contain nearly half the daily recommended intake of fiber. These nutrient-packed fruits also help lower cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of diabetes, promote lower body weight and help prevent cancer.
And while the health benefits of avocados are many, they are probably best known as the main ingredient in guacamole. But don’t get stuck in a guacamole-only rut. Avocados are a delicious addition to sandwiches in place of less healthy dressings and transform salads into filling meal options. Their creamy texture and healthy fats also make for a surprisingly easy baking substitution for butter.
Skeptical? Try this delicious brownie recipe next time you’re craving a sweet treat, minus the guilt.
- 1 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- ½ avocado
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs instant coffee
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In your food processor, puree the black beans and avocado.
- Mix together eggs, honey, and peanut butter. Add black bean and avocado mixture.
- Once combined, add remaining ingredients.
- Spread into a greased 8×8 pan.
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- ½ medium ripe avocado
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 TBS yogurt
- 2 cucumber slices
- Combine the avocado, honey and yogurt until smooth.
- Apply a thin layer of the mask to your face and neck.
- Place the cucumber slices over your eyes and relax.
- Allow the mask to set for at least 15 minutes before rinsing with warm water and gently patting dry.