Search Recipes by Course or Cuisine!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 small Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2/3 cups natural applesauce no sugar added
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups pumpkin pureé 2 15-ounce cans
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and heat until it sizzles.
- Add the diced onion, apples and salt. Sauté until onions are translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, applesauce, white pepper, sage, thyme and nutmeg. Bring to a boil and cook until apples are very tender, about 5 more minutes.
- Add the pumpkin and brown sugar and cook for 10 – 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Use an immersion blender to blend soup until it's smooth. (You can also use a blender to blend the soup in batches.)
- Add cream and heat through over very low heat. (You can add more cream or water, if desired, to thin out more.)
- Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with sliced pumpkin seeds and/or dried apple slices.