Search Recipes by Course or Cuisine!
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 large strips orange or lemon zest
- 1 each vanilla bean
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- White rum or bourbon optional
- Freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
- Combine 1 1/2 cups milk and the citrus zest in a medium saucepan. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds; add the seeds and pod to the saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, egg yolk, sugar and cornstarch in a medium bowl until light yellow.
- Gradually pour the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, then pour back into the pan. Place over medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon in a figure-eight motion until the eggnog begins to thicken, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the remaining 1/2 cup milk to stop the cooking. Transfer the eggnog to a large bowl and place over a larger bowl of ice to cool, then chill until ready to serve.
- Remove the zest and vanilla pod. Spike the eggnog with liquor, if desired, and garnish with nutmeg.