Search Recipes by Course or Cuisine!
- 2 medium-sized red beets
- 2 medium-sized russet potatoes, sliced or cubed into nice-sized bites
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot. grated
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/3 head red cabbage
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple juice concentrate
- 15 ounce can of no-salt kidney beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 4-6 cups water
- 4 cups no-salt added vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup no-salt added ketchup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Boil beets for about an hour, or until you can easily pierce beets with a fork. Remove beets from water and let cool. Keep the (now) red water boiling.
- Add potatoes and bay leaves to red water and boil for 15-20 minutes.
- Gently spray nonstick cooking oil onto heated nonstick pan on medium heat. Add onion, garlic and carrots and cook until just lightly browned, about 5 min. Add ketchup and stir to incorporate.
- Add cabbage, celery, carrot/onion mixture, lemon juice, chopped dill, apple juice concentrate, kidney beans with juice, pepper and vegetable stock to pot.
- Peel and slice beets and add to soup pot. Cook with ingredients for another 5-10 min. Enjoy!