Butternut squash soup is a staple during autumn and winter months. But did you know it’s also overflowing with health benefits? Here’s a simple recipe and some hacks for easier butternut squash prep.
Nine ingredients: That’s all you’ll need, start to finish, to make the tastiest butternut squash soup recipe your family has ever tasted.
But even with only nine ingredients, the fact that one of them is butternut squash can seem daunting. Because yes, we get it — cutting up a butternut squash can be a real pain. That’s why we’re here, offering hacks.
Easier Butternut Squash Prep
Hack #1: Microwave first! First make several large slits through the skin with the tip of a sharp knife. This step is critical, unless you’re a fan of cleaning up exploded butternut squash (which we’re not). Then, microwave the squash on high for approximately 3-5 minutes. Let it rest for a minute or two, until it’s cool enough to handle. Finally, remove the skin with a peeler or knife, then slice the squash in half lengthwise and discard the seeds.
Hack #2: Buy pre-cut squash. If you’re in a dead heat coming from work and don’t have time for chopping, visit your favorite store (at last check, both Costco and Sam’s Club had pre-cut butternut squash). This is one of the few pre-cut veggies we feel actually justifies the higher price.
Butternut Squash Health Benefits
Butternut squash is rich in nutrients including vitamin A, vitamin C, fiber and vitamin B6. It’s also high in manganese, a mineral that facilitates the processing of fats, carbohydrates and glucose. And it assists in fighting disease. Because the fiber in squash rids the body of harmful substances, you’re also helping protect against potential risks of colon cancer.
With all of that in mind, are you ready to make this delightful, cozy dish for your fam tonight? We thought so. Check out this simple, healthy, 9-ingredient recipe!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large soup pot.
- Add carrot, celery and onion. Cook until vegetables have begun to soften and onion turns translucent, three to four minutes.
- Stir in butternut squash, thyme, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Use a blender to purée soup. Let the soup cool slightly and carefully purée in batches in an upright blender until complete.
- Add a Twist
- Apple, Gorgonzola and Almond Butternut Soup
- Stir 1 cup unsweetened applesauce into puréed soup. Garnish each serving with crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, toasted almonds, a few slices of thinly sliced apple and a small sprig of fresh thyme.