A diet full of nutritious food provides significant health benefits to your body and mind.
Many people are motivated into healthy eating to shed unwanted pounds and inches. But eating healthy foods provides numerous health benefits that have nothing to do with losing weight and typically lead to a happier, healthier, more productive you.
Stephen Compston, RD, an outpatient dietary educator with Health Improvement Programs at Renown Health credits healthy eating with warding off chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart trouble.
“You don’t have to be overweight to have a heart attack,” he notes. “We can’t prevent everything but eating healthy can help. We have to be good stewards of our body – we were given this body that can heal itself and do all these amazing things. We have to a responsibility to take care of it.”
READ MORE: 6 Winter Superfoods You Can’t Live Without
Here are five of the top reasons to eat healthy for a better you:
- Improves your mood. Several health foods, like blackberries, grapes, fish and nuts contain compounds that have been shown to positively affect mood. Omega-3, vitamin C and magnesium are naturally found in fish and nuts while blackberries, blueberries and cherries are packed with polyphenols which help boost your mood.
- Protects against disease. Long-term unhealthy eating has been linked to chronic diseases such as heart disease, obesity and diabetes. Healthy eating lends itself to eating less processed foods, including meats, which in turn could lower the risk of some of these chronic diseases such as heart disease.
- Better workouts. Effective workouts rely on fuel for your body which can be found with good nutrition. Eating plenty of fiber-rich whole grain foods helps give your body the fuel it needs to ensure your body doesn’t breakdown muscle for fuel.
- You’ll age better. Eating a diet that is full of fruits and vegetables will provide your body with the antioxidants that can protect your skin by slowing premature aging. For example, eating tomatoes, which are packed full of lycopene, can help protect your skin from the damage of the ultraviolet rays.
- You’ll be more productive. Fueling your body with good, nutritious foods helps give your brain the power it needs to be efficient. A balanced diet helps give you the energy you need to be productive.
5 Reasons to Eat Healthier That Have Nothing to Do With Your Weight
10 Great Reasons (Besides a Beach Body) to Eat Healthy
American Heart Association Whole Grains and Fiber
American Cancer Society – Lycopene