Weight loss and healthier living tend to top most people’s lists of New Year’s Resolutions. So if you’re like the vast majority, here’s help — a comprehensive look at all of Renown Health’s programs that will help you lose weight and tackle metabolic challenges.
Quick quiz: How many of the following apply to you?
- You have a need to lose weight, but you haven’t been guided on how to make sustainable change;
- You’re experienced a recent rapid weight gain, but lab tests didn’t reflect a change in your health;
- You’ve experienced a life-changing event that caused weight gain;
- You have problems with where you are carrying your weight, such as your mid-section;
- You’ve tried other weight loss programs, but they didn’t work.
If you found yourself nodding in agreement to any one of the above statements, Renown’s programs can help. They cover the spectrum of helping with weight or metabolism challenges. But the million dollar question is: Where do you start?
How to Lose Weight and Live Healthier
Ideally, it’s best to start by talking with your primary care provider. Your provider knows your medical history and concerns related to your health. Talk to your provider about your past history with weight loss and gain. Your primary care provider will assist with the referral process and provide you with options you might not considered on your own. Most importantly, by starting with your primary care provider, you can take full advantage of all your health benefits.
Renown offers four weight loss/management programs:
Medical Nutrition Therapy
Meet one-on-one with a Registered Dietitian at Renown’s Health Improvement Program to discuss your health goals. You may qualify for this program if you have:
- Heart or kidney disease
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Weight gain or weight loss
- Food allergies or sensitivities
- High blood pressure or high cholesterol
- A thyroid condition
- Diabetes – classes available, including: Type 2 Diabetes, insulin and gestational diabetes management during pregnancy (Offered in English & also in Spanish).
For more information, call 775-982-5073.
Medical Weight Management
This program includes a one-on-one appointment with a board-certified bariatric doctor. You will receive a comprehensive evaluation and customized treatment plan to meet your needs and medically manage your overweight or metabolic challenges. Treatment options in this program may include nutrition changes, meal replacements, medication, exercises and also behavioral therapy. Here are a few qualifications for the program:
- A BMI of 25 or higher and health risk such as Type 2 diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea, cardiovascular disease, stroke, gout, osteoarthritis, infertility or polycystic ovarian syndrome
- A BMI of 30 and higher
- A metabolic problem such as diabetes, fatty liver and is not responding to regular medical care. Those with a metabolic problem may be considered normal weight, however may need to lose fat mass or reduce their waist size to get healthier.
- An increased risk of heart disease, stroke or Type 2 diabetes, regardless of weight that is not responding to regular medical care.
For more information, call 775-982-5073.
Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery
- A BMI of 40 or more, or:
- A BMI of 35 to 39.9 with significant health problems such as hypertension, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, diabetes or diagnosed arthritis
Dietary Consultation at Renown Medical Group
Many people aren’t aware that you can schedule short, frequent visits with a registered dietitian at Renown Medical Group locations in Reno or Sparks. Telehealth is also available at the Renown Medical Group – Fernley. Qualifications include:
- A BMI of 30 or greater
- You have a primary care provider with Renown Medical Group
- Medicare or Senior Care Plus member
Since this program is only offered through Renown Medical Group, you must be an established patient. To establish with a primary care provider, call 775-982-5000.
Talk to your primary care provider to see if you qualify for one of Renown’s weight management programs. Going through the referral process is the best way to ensure you are taking full advantage of your health benefits.