Sometimes you may need expert help when it comes to weight loss, especially if losing weight equals gaining better health. Learn if Renown’s Medical Weight Management Program is right for you.
Eating healthy and exercising are important to good health, but they don’t always lead to weight loss. Kirsten Frederiksen, MD, of Renown Health Improvement Programs explains how Renown’s new Medical Weight Management program can give you the resources and support you need to make lifestyle changes in a healthy and sustainable way.
What is medical weight management?
Renown’s multi-disciplinary Medical Weight Management program provides patients the opportunity to receive a comprehensive evaluation and treatment plan to help medically manage their weight. I’m part of a team of registered dietitians who help in the management of each patient’s unique diagnoses related to being overweight.
Renown’s Medical Weight Loss Management program works with medical providers to create a customized plan to help you lose weight in a way that’s healthy and achievable over the long-term, but it is not a surgical practice and does not engage in weight loss surgery or post-operative care.
Who is eligible for the program?
There are several groups who will benefit from Renown’s Medical Weight Management Program:
- Patients with a BMI greater than 25 and one or more of the following: hypertension, Type 2 diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea, certain forms of cancer, cardiovascular disease and stroke, osteoarthritis, gout, infertility, polycystic ovarian syndrome and other health issues
- Patients with a BMI greater than 30
- Patients with significant metabolic issues such as Type 2 diabetes, fatty liver or cardiovascular disease that is not responding to regular medical care
What does the program include?
- Evaluation of current medical status and treatment of obesity-related conditions
- Evaluation of designated labs and EKG
- Review of treatment options including nutrition changes, possible meal replacements and/or medications, exercise and behavioral therapy
- Dietitian evaluation and plan of action
- Scheduled regular follow-up visits tailored to each patient’s obesity treatment plan
Are these programs covered by insurance?
Most health insurance providers cover medical visits to this program, but typically don’t cover the cost of medications used for weight loss or the use of meal replacements. It’s always important to speak with your insurance provider about what your plan might cover as you seek medical weight management support.
What other programs are offered by Renown’s Health Improvement Programs?
We offer a number of educational and support programs to help people overcome the challenges presented through various health conditions and to aid in creating and adopting a healthy lifestyle. In addition to our Medical Weight Management Program, Renown offers diabetes programs, nutritional counseling and weigh-loss programs.
To learn more, call us at 775-982-5073 or visit us online.