By two feet or on two wheels, the best way to explore northern Nevada’s great outdoors is to just get out there. Welcome to our Trail Series where we’ll introduce you to the different parts of town that call for some discovering. This week, we’re sharing trails in Northwest Reno and North Lake Tahoe.
North Lake Tahoe
Pacific Crest Trail / Mt. Judah Loop Trail (Hiking)
- 4.6-mile moderate trail.
- To get to the trailhead, access off of Old Highway 40 (east of Donner Ski Ranch). Turn onto the road before Alpine Skills Institute and head south on the PCT.
Tahoe Rim Trail (Hiking and Biking)
- Varies in difficulty.
- For an easy flat hike, access the TRT at the Tahoe Meadows trailhead on the south side of Mt. Rose Highway and follow the Interpretive Loop 1.2 miles roundtrip.
- For a moderate 5-6 mile roundtrip hike, take the Mt. Rose Loop trail from the Mt. Rose trailhead. Certain parts allow mountain biking.
Glacier Meadow Loop (Hiking)
- Easy 0.5 mile nature loop.
- Take Highway 80 from Truckee to Castle Peak/ Boreal Ridge Road exit, and then follow the signs to the Tahoe National Forest Trailhead.
Hunter Creek Canyon (Hiking)