Renown Children’s Hospital brought the MEGA Body exhibit to the Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum over Labor Day weekend. See a video above on kids and parents’ reaction to this marvel of inflatable education.
Have you ever thought to yourself, “If only I could explore a scientifically accurate, 50-foot long replica of the human body”?
Chances are, you have not — but now’s the time for you to try it! In answer to this wish you never knew you had, Renown Children’s Hospital is bringing the MEGA Body exhibit directly to you and the Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum.
This Labor Day Weekend, bring the kids to this family-friendly event. Hours and special guests below:
Friday, Aug. 31, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 10 a.m. to noon: Elaina Lantrip, pediatric APRN; and Pam Burgio, pediatric APRN
- 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.: registered nurses and practice managers from Renown Medical Group – Pediatrics
- 1 to 3 p.m.: Pet therapy dog, Baci
Saturday, Sept. 1, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 10 a.m. to noon: Dr. Scott Wallace, pediatrician; and Larry Duncan, Renown Children’s Hospital Vice President and Administrator
- 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.: various staff from Renown Health
- 11 a.m. to noon: Pet therapy dog, Nikki
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: local mascots including Luna, Alphie and Thumper
Sunday, Sept. 2, 12 noon to 5 p.m.
- Noon to 5 p.m.: various staff from Renown Health
- Noon to 2 p.m.: Dr. Sonia Budhecha, pediatric pulmonologist
- Noon to 3 p.m.: Miss Washoe County Devin Jostmeyer
- 1 to 3 p.m.: local mascots including Luna, Alphie and Thumper
- 2 to 4 p.m.: Dr. Jose Cucalon, pediatrician
- 4 to 5 p.m.: Dr. Max Coppes, Renown Children’s Hospital physician-in-chief
What is MEGA Body?
This larger-than-life human body is 50-feet long, 15-feet wide and 12-feet tall. Visitors can take a walk-through tour of it while learning fun facts and details about how your body functions on a daily basis. For example, did you know the average cough comes out of your mouth at 60 miles per hour? Or that the human eye can detect 10 million color hues, but cannot see ultraviolet or infrared light?
This fun infographic gives you an idea of some of the fun things you’ll learn as you walk through the MEGA Body.
“This is a perfect way to show kids of all ages the fascinating workings of the human body,” says Elaine Cudnik, advanced practice nurse practitioner with Renown Medical Group – Pediatrics.
Cudnik says Renown Children’s Hospital brought this exhibit to Reno as a hands-on way of encouraging wellness in our community. “Research shows health starts before birth, when a mother is pregnant, and throughout the baby, child, teen and adult stages of life,” she says. “This fun exhibit reminds us how remarkable our body is and that it’s never too late to improve your health.”
Along with the MEGA Body, there will be health tables and health information for visitors. The first 200 kids each day of the exhibit will receive a free, educational coloring book about the human body.
If you’re interested in attending this event, the cost is free for museum members and included with museum admission for non-members ($12 per adult, $10 ages 1 to 17).
The Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum is located at 490 S. Center Street, Reno, NV 89501.