It may seem early to be talking summer, but trust us: It’s right around the corner. Prepare yourself for the punishing sun and heat this year with a few simple steps. Your body will thank you for them!
1. Summer Skin Care
Skin Cancer Prevention
May is National Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month. Here are some tips from the Skin Cancer Foundation to keep your beautiful skin radiant and healthy:
- Use sunscreens that absorb or block UV radiation. UV radiation produces DNA damage that may lead to mutation (abnormalities) in genes involved in the development of skin cancer.
- Photo-aging or UV-induced skin aging is another long-term result of sun exposure. Excessive unprotected time in the sun leads to premature wrinkling, sagging, leathery skin and abnormal tone.
- A daily broad spectrum sunscreen, those that protect against UVA and UVB rays, with an SPF of 15 or higher is recommended.
Premature Aging and Sun Protection
The sun is the primary cause of premature skin aging. Always apply sunscreen 30 minutes before sun exposure, and don’t forget your hands and neck! Reapply every two hours. When available, seek shade and wear a hat.
Here are some of our recommendations:
- Obagi Professional C SPF30 – A chemical sunscreen lotion that supplies broad-spectrum sun protection, plus a wonderful primer prior to makeup application.
- Revision Intellishade Broad Spectrum SPF 45 – An anti-aging tinted moisturizer with sunscreen.
- Obagi Sunshield Matte Broad Spectrum SPF 50 – A sheer sunscreen lotion with both UVA and UVB protection.
- Renown labeled Ultimatte Perfection – Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ – A tinted, mattifying BB cream and sunscreen with zinc oxide.
2. Eat Your Greens
- Increasing your intake of fruits and vegetables provides several benefits – they’re low in calories, high in volume and contain important nutrients. Plus, they fill you up!
- Fruits and veggies are rich in antioxidants, which help protect the skin from the harmful, oxidating effects of the sun and toxic chemicals from the summer elements.
- Fruits and veggies also have been shown to help fight against heart disease, cancer and obesity.
- Fruits and veggies fill you up on fewer total calories because they are high in fiber and bulk.
3. Hydrate – Water Is the Bomb
The benefits of staying hydrated are endless. Here are some reasons why you should begin right now, making it a habit before summer.
Did you know? Water:
- Aids in weight loss, flushing out fat byproducts and other toxins
- Keeps your skin moist and supple
- Keeps muscles strong, lubricated and energized
- Improves blood flow and oxygen to the brain, aiding in cognitive function and memory; plus balances mood and emotions
- Aids in healthy bowel function
- Keeps immune system strong
4. Tone Up, Indoors and Out!
Not only is regular exercise great for burning calories, it also gives you a healthy, glowing look.
- Classes: Regular exercise will speed up your metabolism and help you get in shipshape for summer. Book an exercise class that gives you a full body workout. Some options include: yoga, Pilates, Zumba, CrossFit or dance. Many gyms offer instructor-led fitness classes.
- Outdoors: Hiking provides a great workout and is super family friendly. Our local area offers an abundance of hiking options for all skill levels.
- Walking: Time to dust off those tennies and get outdoors. An easy way to start is by joining a walking club or group. This is fantastic way to burn extra calories and get ready for summer.
Experts agree: It’s easier to take time now to prep your body for summer, which means you’ll surely enjoy fun in the sun instead of wishing away the warmer weather! Add your tips to our growing list by leaving a comment below.