The holidays are like objects in your rearview mirror — closer than they appear. Do you still have a list of hard-to-buy-for folks but not the energy to aimlessly search the stores or endless websites? Well, you’re in luck: Inspiration is as close as your kitchen.
With just a few common household items you can whip up a bunch of artisanal, natural bath products, with no harsh chemicals or artificial fragrances — perfect for some pampering gift-giving in as little as 10 minutes. Add a cute container and some ribbon and you are good to go!
Vapor Rub Shower Cubes
- 3 tablespoons vapor rub
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 drops peppermint or eucalyptus oil (optional)
- Ice cube tray
- Place vapor rub in a medium glass bowl. Microwave 10 seconds, until softened.
- Add cornstarch to vapor rub until well mixed. Add optional essential oil.
- Add in water a splash at a time to form a thick paste. Be careful to not add too much water.
- Press paste into ice cube tray, packing firmly. Freeze 20 minutes.
- Place cubes in a glass jar or cellophane bag to give as a gift.
- When ready to use, place on the floor of a warm shower and enjoy the fresh scent.
Peppermint Sugar Scrub
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 5 drops peppermint oil
- 10 peppermint leaves, chopped
- In a medium bowl combine white sugar and coconut oil (solid) with a mixer beating together until a smooth paste forms.
- Place in a sealed airtight container.
- Label, add ribbon and give as a hand or body scrub.
Essential Oil Room Spray
- Distilled water or witch hazel
- 40 drops of essentials oils (see below recommendations)
- 4 oz. glass spray bottle (dark bottles will give the maximum shelf life for your spray)
- Add 3 oz. witch hazel or distilled water to a 4 oz. bottle, then add the desired oils.
- Place the top on the bottle and shake well. Top off with distilled water.
- Make a label or card for the bottle, tie with ribbon and give the gift of a fresh scent.
Use the suggestions below for essential oil room spray scents, or experiment and make your own creation!
Smells Like Christmas Spirit
- 20 drops pine or fir needle essential oil
- 10 drops cedar wood essential oil
- 20 drops orange essential oil
- 10 drops cinnamon essential oil
Lavender Fields Forever
- 40 drops lavender essential oil