A Perfect Pumpkin Dessert Just In Time For The Holidays
Looking for a non-traditional take on a traditional pumpkin dessert? Check out this gluten-free pumpkin flan.
Ready to amaze your family and friends with a different slant on pumpkin pie?
Try this luscious pumpkin flan.
It looks like it came from a gourmet kitchen, but it truly is easy to make. Plus, considering it’s gluten-free, it’s the perfect substitute for pumpkin pie for those following a special diet.
Perfect Pumpkin Flan
This dessert was made by Renown Chef Lynda Grant. It is a unique adaptation of the classic custard dessert with its soft caramel top. Plus, it can be made in advance (holiday planning bonus!). Just keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
About Chef Lynda: Lynda Grant has been a chef for 39 yrs. Her background includes experience as Executive Chef, Pastry Chef and Director of Food and Nutrition. Lynda has lived in the Reno area for 53 yrs and is currently Supervisor of Food and Nutrition Services at Renown Health.
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup canned or fresh pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 (14 oz.) can low-fat sweetened condensed milk
- Heat a heavy medium sized pan. Add water and sugar. Stir gently. Then let syrup cook until brown, about 7 minutes.
- Immediately add to the bottom of a 0-inch cake pan sprayed with cooking oil.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and whisk or beat until smooth.
- Pour on top of the caramelized syrup.
- Place in a 13 x 9 inch metal baking pan and add water to the large pan to halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
- Bake at 350° for 70 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool. Refrigerate overnight.
- Loosen edges of flan. Place serving plate upside down over top of pan and turnover to add flan to dish.
Enjoy the article you just read?
Subscribe to get a weekly roundup of hand-picked articles delivered directly to your inbox.